Saturday, December 29, 2012

Guest Bathroom Update

I have never been a real “black and white” décor person, but something about our guest bathroom made me want black and white tile. Perhaps it was the nasty rainbow of colors that previously inhabited the small space along with gross linoleum, yellowish shell shaped double sinks, and layers of wall paper (original circa 1982 orange, green and brown flowers - and not in a good way). YUCK.

The demo felt so good... it was part of the house that I hated most. I couldn’t wait to be rid of the enormous L-shape vanity – which weighed a ton and nearly killed me getting it out of the house.  Scraping linoleum is unfortunately not an unfamiliar task for us, but as much as I hated scraping it up, I love the end result a hundred times more. We also pulled down the off-white track lighting above the sink area and replaced  it with several can lights (I'm still trying to figure out what kind of fixture I want in the commode area... more to come!).

 
These pics are from my phone, and we were both deliriously tired (hence the very odd pose and face of Mr. Husband, but at least you can kind of get an idea of what I'm talking about. 

 
We got rid of the wallpaper when we first moved in and textured and painted the walls "Light Silver Sage" from Restoration Hardware to hold us over until we figured out what we really wanted.  The beadboard wainscot went bye-bye, we had the black and white tile from Home Depot installed on the floor, and added large white subway tile from Daltile on the walls where the old beadboard used to be. The blue walls didn't last too long, because I knew how fraken awesome it was going to look with some gorge dark grey (Tricorn Black from Sherwin Williams) walls! - oh, and I also painted those built-ins the same color grey as the walls and they look lovely now.


I found two sink chests at a Seconds and Surplus store for around $200 each, and they really make the tiny bathroom feel much more spacious than the ole’ L-shape. Handy Mr. Husband installed them himself – I assisted of course… and after 3 trips to Lowe’s for various plumbing and fixture pieces, we were in business!



Drum roll please.......



So, I guess its not technically monochromatic... because like I said, I've never really been a black and white gal. I had to throw a little color in there - I'm loving the chartreuse rug (sorry, I can't find my color online any more, but you can get the charcoal color here) and hand towels from West Elm.




I had previously purchased the two mirrors from Homegoods (around $45 each) to coordinate with the nasty L-shape countertop (that was before I decided that I just couldn’t stand to have that in my space). The color wasn’t right, but I really didn’t want them to go to waste. I think Mr. Husband could see my wheels spinning and more money flying out the door, so he took it upon himself to paint those bad boys black and that did the trick! Of course, if I had a limitless budget I probably would pick up a couple of these venetian beauties.

Even without the fancy mirrors, I love our guest bathroom and we did a good job staying in budget! I’m still working on the finishing touches, but don't worry, I'll keep ya'll updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment